Marie Tak van Poortvliet Museum

Location

Domburg

Client

The ‘Marie Tak van Poortvliet Museum’ foundation, Domburg

Year

1994 / 2004 (plan)

Status

Completed, Plan (extension)

Program

Museum

Marie Tak van Poortvliet Museum

The design for the Marie Tak van Poortvliet Museum (1994) in the centre of Domburg initially comprised the reconstruction of the wooden exhibition pavilion that had been built at the initiative of Dutch artist Jan Toorop. The original pavilion had been built opposite the ‘Badpaviljoen’ (Beach Pavilion) in 1911, but was destroyed in a storm ten years later. In its new setting, the building serves as the reception area of the museum complex and houses the museum shop and a bar area that leads to the new restaurant wing. A glass corridor connects the building to the Mondriaan Pavilion, the new exhibition area where a system of movable walls makes a variety of exhibitions possible. Ten years after the initial construction, a new plan was drafted for a substantial expansion of the museum: the restaurant wing was extended to create a new access to the Mondriaan Pavilion. An additional exhibition wing on the south side completed the square-shaped design. Large glass facades on the inner part of the complex provide a view across the centrally situated water feature and the restaurant terrace.

share this project:

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Other projects